Monday, April 15, 2019

You Can Do It, Too! / Bonita Epley

   
Bonita Epley
Evangelist's Wife
Singer / Song Writer
Marion Avenue Baptist Church
Washington, IA


You Can Do It, Too!


She was the life of the party;  her smile would cheer up even the grouchiest individual.  "Bubbly" was a great description of her personality, and when she entered the room, it felt like sunshine pouring into the place.  She had a ready laugh, and found humor in nearly every situation.

     But my friend began to change.  I noticed her laughs become fewer and fewer, her cheerful face grew more and more grim with the passing of time.  Her whole demeanor and countenance became somber.  Her marriage was suffering.  This godly, church-going, Christian lady, with grown children and two beautiful baby granddaughters, began getting tattoos.

     I wanted to reach out to her, but with our extensive travelling schedule, I felt that I couldn't squeeze it in.  Finally, on one of our rare days at home, I scheduled a time to be with her for an afternoon.  During the course of our conversation, she admitted that she was on antidepressants.

    Does this sound familiar?

   According to a new analysis of federal data (reported by the New York Times in 2018).  "some 15.5 million Americans have been taking the medications for at least five years.  The rate has almost doubled since 2010, and more than tripled since 2000."

     It's an epidemic!

     My daughter is our pastor's wife, and deals with ladies' problems on a regular basis.  We were having a conversation several months ago, and I mentioned in passing that I had recently spoken at a ladies' meeting in another state.  In the course of the lesson, I briefly addressed the issue of Christian women taking antidepressants.  My daughter interrupted and declared, "Mom, hit it every time you can!  It's unreal how many people are on them!"

     The friend I referred to earlier said that the doctor (who prescribed the meds) asked her this question:  "Do you feel like killing yourself?"  My friend's reply was, "No, but I feel like killing everybody else I see!"  Here is that doctor's unbelievable answer:  "That's understandable.  This is the same medication the Columbine killer was taking."

   Can anyone give me some clue as to why Christians seek after these drugs as an answer to their problems?  Actually, let me answer my own question:

    1.  Their doctors recommend it.
    2.  They know others who are taking them.
    3.  They feel discouraged, overwhelmed, trapped, stressed.... and they don't know what else to do.

    I'm sure there are other reasons, but can I give you my humble opinion on these?

    1.  Doctors are not infallible.  some honestly care about their patients, and are just doing what they were trained to do - prescribe drugs.  But just because a person is in a medical coat says this is your answer does not necessarily make it true.

   2.  It's never right to just blindly follow someone else's example.  Research for yourself!

   3.  Everybody gets discouraged at times.
        Everybody feels overwhelmed at times.
        Everybody feels trapped at times.
        Everybody feels stressed at times.
        You see, you aren't the only one.  Welcome to the human race!  (We could all have a serious heart-to-heart talk with Eve and say, "Look what you caused!")  But many times, our feelings are caused by an underlying spiritual issue that needs to be brought to light.

     Please don't turn me off.

     God says in his wonderful, truthful, inspired, problem-solving Word:  ".... in Thy presence is fulness of joy..." (Psalm 16:11)

     Even when you don't have enough money?
     Even when someone mistreats you?
     Even when you feel like no one cares?
     Even when your heart is broken?
     Even when you need to be in two places at one time?
     Even when it feels like everything in life has fallen apart?

     When I was a girl, back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, I remember hearing my mother say there was a time when she felt she needed to take "nerve pills" to get her through her days.  My dad had started a church (and was working a full-time secular job as well), they had two small children (although I 'm SURE we were both angels!), they were going farther and farther behind financially, and other forms of stress.

     My mom said one day she made up her mind that she didn't need the pills;  Jesus was enough to meet her needs!  What an interesting philosophy!  Jesus said, "These things have I spoken unto you, that my JOY might remain in you, and that your JOY might be full." (John 15:11)

   You may think I am over simplifying the answer to your problem.  I know occasionally there may be a medical problem that can cause depression and anxiety, but far more often, the cause is a spiritual one.

     If you are depressed, can I give you a little self-examination quiz?

     1.  How much time do you spend daily on your phone?  According to eMarketer Trends, Forecasts & Statistics, "U.S. adults will spend an average of 3 hours, 35 minutes per day on mobile devices..."

     Follow-up question:  How much time did you spend in Bible-reading and prayer this morning?     " …. in THY presence is fulness of joy..."  No wonder we have a nation of depressed people!

    2.  How often is the TV on in your home?  Wikipedia states:  "According to a Nielson report, United States adults are watching five hours and four minutes of television per day on average.."

   Follow-up question:  How much time did you spend with the Lord this morning?  Are the characters on your favorite shows influencing you more than the Holy God?  "... in THY presence is fulness of joy..."

    3.  Are you thinking about the following things:
             Things that are TRUE
             Things that are HONEST
             Things that are JUST
             Things that are PURE
             Things that are LOVELY
             Things that are of GOOD REPORT

     Follow-up question:  Do your computer, phone, I-pad, tablet, TV, or close friends help you to think on these things listed in Philippians 4:8?

     I personally like technology.  I'm an old-fashioned girl in most ways, but I love the ways my I-phone can assist me.  I use it very frequently during each day!  But I realize that it can be addicting.  One of my favorite apps is the KJV Alexander Scourby Bible app;  I recommend it highly!  You can listen to the Bible often when you are doing things that don't require a lot of concentration, and it will feed your soul!  I guarantee it!  Try it for yourself and see!

    It can be set to loop verses, chapters, or passages;  one morning I was feeling stressed and discouraged (yes, I am human too), and I looped it to play Psalm 23 over and over.  As I meditated on those beautiful verses, I felt my spirits being lifted and my wrong attitude gave way to a thankful heart.

    There is so much that can be said about the subject of depression.  This was the case with my dear friend that was described earlier.  Thank God, she went to a naturalistic doctor who discovered that he depression was caused by a thyroid issue.  After she was freed from the effects of the antidepressants, she was able (with the help of some needed herbs, vitamins, etc) to calm the thyroid and is now back to her joyful, happy self!

     YOU can do it, too!  You can be a joyful person.  There IS hope for you.  Today can be the beginning of a new, happy life, free of "the blues", May the Lord help you to find your answers and live the full, rich life that only He can give.







No comments:

Post a Comment