Wednesday, March 20, 2019

What is Your "Wont"? - Jennifer Ruth Green

Jennifer Ruth Green
Co Teacher - Ladies Life Changers Sunday School Class
First Baptist Church
Hammond, IN
Founder / Director
MissionAero Pipeline Program
Aviation Training Progam
STEM servants for Christ

What’s Your “Wont”?

I travel often. I serve in the US Air Force and take frequent trips out of town. I have a roommate. When I leave, my roommate does things to the house. She will redecorate, she will deep clean, and most likely she will paint yet another item in the house, the color turquoise. Often times when I call to say hello from out of town she will tell me of her latest completed project and I jokingly respond with — “Of course.” It’s short for, “Of course you did that; it’s what you always do.”

I have a friend in the ministry who handles conferences and many events. She has “things.” She is always willing to provide anything anyone needs. I come into her office and ask for “things.” I say, “Do you have (a band-aid; a letter opener; a one-legged stuffed monkey)? And she says, “Yes,” hands it to me, and then I jokingly say, “Of course,” short for, “Of course you have that; you have anything and everything.”

I love my Pastor. He is a humble man and sometimes as he leads staff devotions he speaks of a decision the convert he was discipling earlier that morning (before staff meeting) made. I am astounded because I am not a morning person and all I’ve done that day so far is make myself presentable to the public. My pastor is a soul winner and discipler. I appreciate that example. When I hear those anecdotes, I am challenged, but I often think, “Of course.” 

If someone had to describe what my “of course” would be, I think it would be that I will always choose to fly instead of drive. Perhaps it would be that I will always choose Chipotle if given a choice. Maybe it’s that I will order tacos regardless of whatever else is on the menu. All of those would be quite accurate normal tendencies for me. 

In the Bible, the word “wont” is used as an adjective describing “1. (of a person) in the habit of doing something; accustomed.” It is used nine times throughout the Bible. Four of those references occur in the New Testament. Three of them are in the Gospels. Two of them speak directly of Jesus (Mark 10:1 and Luke 22:39). We will examine both of those instances one at a time. 

In Mark 9, Jesus is teaching the disciples personally, as others are nearby. He’s fielding their questions and posing questions to them in order to stir their hearts and minds. Then in Mark 10:1 the Bible says, “And he arose from thence, and cometh into the coasts of Judæa by the farther side of Jordan: and the people resort unto him again; and, as he was wont, he taught them again.

Jesus invested in others. He knew if His apostles didn’t get it, it would be a difficult outlook for others to understand the truth of His coming. We have the privilege of hearing the Gospel of salvation today because they held fast to the truths they learned. Jesus spent time teaching them, and it was “the norm.” He taught multitudes, His apostles, small groups m and individuals. I can imagine someone in Judea looking at Jesus with the people and saying to their friend, “Look, there’s Jesus, teaching His disciples.” I can also imagine their friend simply saying, “Of course.”

In Luke 22 we read of Jesus’ betrayal. He knows His fulfillment of his earthly duty is coming quickly. After the Last Supper, we see him depart the upper room. Luke 22:39 says, “And he came out, and went, as he was wont, to the mount of Olives; and his disciples also followed him.” When He gets to the mount of Olives He begins to pray, fervently and deeply. He had a special place where He was accustomed to spend time with God, communicating the depths of his soul and hearing the Father’s comfort and confirmation. I can imagine the disciples knowing that Jesus is taking them to go and pray and then announcing they were all headed to the Mount of Olives. In my mind’s eye I see someone walking along and whispering, Of course.”

I think there are powerful lessons to be learn here. What was Jesus known for? What was his “norm?” He was known for 1. investing into the spiritual lives of others and 2: separating Himself to a certain place, to seek the Father.

Lord, please help me to want that to be my wont, too.


No comments:

Post a Comment